The same installation instructions and system requirements apply to a virtual environment as to a stand-alone server. If your system doesn't meet the system requirements, you may experience issues with the installation, for example if you don't assign enough vRAM.
|IMPORTANT: To install ITA 9.1.x on VMware, plan to use VMware ESXi 6.5 U1 or newer. Otherwise, you may see a kernel bug error in CentOS 8.x.
See VMware KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2151480 for more information.
Setting up the virtual machine is not included in these instructions. However, here are some recommendations to your environment:
- When installing IT Advisor in a virtual environment, it is best to select CentOS operating system (version 7 for ITA 9.0.x or version 8 for ITA 9.1.x, 64 bit) as the guest operating system.
This will make the configuration of virtual hardware, especially drivers, easier as you can simply select the default options suggested by the system during configuration. These default options are based on knowledge about the driver installation on these OS versions.
- If the CentOS guest operating system type is not available in the virtual environment, configure the virtual hardware to be compatible with:
- CPU architecture: 64 bit
- SCSI Controller: LSI Logic Parallel
- Network adaptor type: VMXNET 3
- If you deploy as a virtual server on VMware, VMware might automatically install VMware Tools. If not, you can use YUM to install VMware Tools: yum install open-vm-tools
If the server doesn't have internet access, you can install VMware Tools from VMWare itself. Right click the host and select Install VMware Tools.Read more: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1018414
If you want to manually configure the IP address for your IT Advisor installation on VMware, you may need to disable and reenable the network settings.
- In the CentOS installation wizard, select NETWORK & HOST NAME.
- Click Configure, then enter and save your network settings.
You may need to disable and reenable the NIC you just configured for the changes to take effect before finishing your configuration by clicking Done.