ITA 9.1.1 and newer supports installation on RHEL 8 only.
Installing ITA 9.1.0 on a Red Hat operating system is not supported.
IT Advisor 9.0.6 has a known bug that prevents manually installing ITA on Red Hat 7.x and CentOS 7.x servers. To manually install ITA, you must use ITA 9.0.7.
To install IT Advisor 9.0.6 and 9.0.7 you must use the online version of the installer ISO file, EcoStruxureITAdvisor<version>.iso.
Do not use the ITA ISO file that contains the word offline - it will not work.
We usually don't offer support on Red Hat installations as most of our customers who use RHEL have their own ways of installing and configuring it.
Prerequisite: Before starting the ITA installation procedure, make sure that the general system requirements for on-premise installations are fulfilled in addition to these:
- A server running RHEL with at least minimum install selected.
Access to RHEL packages by using an active RHEL subscription
- Disk space:
/datais used for indexes and ETL configuration. Minimum size 5 GB.
/data/backupis used for backups. Minimum size 50 GB. Backups should always be mounted on a remote network share.
/opt/jboss-asis used for the application server. Minimum size 10 GB.
/var/lib/pgsqlis used for the postgres database. Minimum size 30 GB.
/var/logis used for log files. Minimum size 5 GB.
- Total amount of space recommended for an installation is at least 100 GB in addition to the operating system.
- Optional: Due to a bug in the Red Hat Linux kernel, it is recommended to upgrade to
3.10.0-327.22.2.el7or later. Some audit log messages may not be logged if you have a kernel version earlier than
Note: If special configuration has been done, ensure the sudoers file
/etc/sudoers includes the following lines before installing or upgrading:
If, for security reasons, you do not want to enable one or both of the above lines, contact Technical Support for a list of changes needed for the installation to proceed. For optimum support, supply your sudoers configuration in your support request.
Changes to the system
The following system changes are applied during installation of the IT Advisor software.
- ITA will install the listed packages* if not already installed.
*You can get a list of dependent packages for Red Hat Enterprise Linux installation through your local Schneider Electric contact.
- Firewalld rules are set to ITA default locked down settings.
- The SNMPd configuration is replaced with a ITA configuration to provide SNMP status for the ITA services.
- The NTP configuration is changed to use default RHEL NTP servers. This can be changed afterwards through the server management interface (Webmin).
- The PostgreSQL configuration is replaced and certificates for the database get generated during install.
- The Keepalived configuration is replaced.
- SELinux is enabled.
- CTRL+ALT+DELETE reboot is disabled.
- Root login and UseDNS in SSH is disabled.
- TCP Keepalive settings are modified.
- Kernel shared memory, huge pages and network memory settings are modified.
- logrotate has been configured to handle ITA and PostgreSQL logs.
- Loading kernel module ip_vs and ip_vs_rr.
- The Apache configuration is modified.
- The Webmin configuration is modified, disabling unused modules and changing security configuration.
- Enabling PostgreSQL start at boot.
- Maximum number of files has been increased to 100000 for JBoss (dcojboss) and root users.
Installing the IT Advisor server on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Download the installation file (ITAdvisor-<version no>.iso) from a location provided by the support team. To locate the telephone number for your region, visit Contact Us.
Note: The below commands should be run with
- Upload the installation file to:
- Create ISO mount point
- Mount the installer by running the command:
mount -o loop /tmp/EcoStruxureITAdvisor-<version no>.iso /tmp/iso
(where you replace <version no> with the 9.x.x version number)
- Make sure to add the optional rpms repository from your subscription link:
subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
for RedHat 8:
sudo dnf config-manager --set-enabled codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms
- Execute the install script:
- Un-mount ISO:
Non-mandatory creation of users and groups
During the installation process the setup script will automatically create these user accounts: dcojboss, dcoplat, postgres, and apache.
If required, these accounts may be manually added by executing these commands with root credentials prior to installation:
Add dcojboss user and group
groupadd --system dcojboss useradd --system -g dcojboss --shell /bin/nologin --home-dir /opt/jboss-as -c "IT Advisor Application Server" --create-home dcojboss
Add dcoplat user and group
groupadd --system dcoplat useradd --system -g dcoplat --shell /bin/sh --home-dir /home/dcoplat -c "IT Advisor Platform User" --create-home dcoplat
Add postgres user
groupadd -g 26 -o -r postgres
useradd -M -n -g postgres -o -r -d /var/lib/pgsql -s /bin/bash -c "PostgreSQL Server" -u 26 postgres
The postgres package performs the above commands. Changing UID/GID is currently untested.
Add apache user
The httpd package performs the above commands. Changing UID/GID is currently untested.
Installing IT Advisor clients
Prerequisite: The server installation has been completed.
- On the computer where you want to install the IT Advisor client, open a web browser and launch to the IP address or hostname of the ITA server
<serverIPaddress>to log in to the web client and get access to the desktop client download.
(The ITA web client is automatically available with the server installation.)
- If you're not an English speaker, select your preferred language from the profile menu Language option (profile image in the upper right corner).
- In Administration > Licenses add your license keys to enable download according to your purchased licenses.
- In the profile menu select Download Desktop Clients.
- On the download page click to download the IT Advisor software according to your license and follow the instructions in the installation wizard.
- Repeat the above steps on all client computers.